VSG at a Glance:
Name of NGO: Village Support Group (VSG)
Legal Status: Reregistered with Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC) or Minister of Interior by 2006
Geographical Working Area: Remote Area in the northwest of Cambodia in the provinces of BTB & BMC.
Societies where community people are living in a peaceful and environmentally healthy environment, where there is food security for all, and the existence of a democratic, just, gender fair, self-reliant and sustainable economic development for the poor.
Promote cooperation with NGOs and other line agencies/institutions at the provincial, national and international levels.
Facilitate empowerment of the basic sectors in the society particularly in the provinces of Battambang and Banteay Meanchey through leadership training and people’s participatory social development.
Organize and strengthen non-traditional/indigenous groups into Community Based Organizations through capacity building initiatives, raising people’s critical awareness by using participatory approach towards building a self-reliant organization.
Bring access to opportunities to the rural poor and implementing sustainable livelihood programs and participatory social development among the disadvantaged sector of the society.
Advocate for gender equity as cross-cutting theme among the men and women at the village level for women’s empowerment.
Our Strategic Areas:
- Environmental Protection Program
- Livelihood Program, and
- Social Change and Development Program
Environmental Protection Program would mean:
- Participatory research, campaign, networking and lobby work for the protection of the Tonlesap lake and forest areas
- Initiates annual celebration of mother earth day in cooperation with network NGOs and Government Institutions
- Inclusion of environment protection program as part of the structure of CBOs
Livelihood Program can be achieved through:
- Conduct participatory social research, needs identification, feasibility studies, planning and management of alternative livelihood where the community people plays the lead role throughout the process.
- Bring access to opportunities through facilitation and technical transfer on project proposal writing, networking, donor-searching, resource mobilization and enterprise development and management provide initial seed capital without interest
Social Change and Development Program can be best achieved through:
- Formation and strengthening of CBOs.
- Mobilize CBOs and Commune councils for coordinative and collaborative efforts in community social development through participatory community planning.
- Bring access to basic social services.
- Awareness raising and education on Basic Human and women’s rights and Gender sensitivity among the community members (both men and women) and stakeholders.
- Training on confidence building and leadership among the women sector and provide opportunity for greater number of women to take on leadership roles.